Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is one of my mother's favorite quick yet fancy side dishes. My dad really loves it.
- 1 small onion
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can French style green beans (2 cans or fresh cooked may also be used)
- Saute onion until tender.
- Add tomato paste, allow to simmer with onion for a minute or so.
- Add cooked green beans and some green bean "juice" if paste is too thick.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes.
This is an Israeli standard, you can find it in almost every Middle-Eastern style grill restaurant. I love this stuff, order it all the time, but I never thought of making it at home. Lightbulb moment! My only change (well, two changes, actually) was to use frozen green beans and 1 large onion, not a small one. I also added just a dusting of za'atar and lots of freshly ground pepper. We had this with chicken smothered in cumin and plain rice. Yum!