Recipe by Karen Elizabeth
Rather nice beans! Can be made richer with the use of cream and butter, or calorie conscious with yoghurt! From Readers Digest : Quick And Thrifty Cooking In South Africa
Top Review by ILove2Cook in Queens
I love this recipe and I have already made it three times in the past few weeks. I use two cans of cut green beans and since I don't like onion, I use a heaping tbsp of minced garlic and about 3 tbsp butter. I let the butter, garlic and green beans get warm together on low since someone mentioned not to let the sour cream curdle. This way it heats up faster. It's a great alternative to carbs with your dinner!
- 500 g green beans
- 30 g butter or 30 g margarine
- 29.58 ml onions, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml sour cream or 118.29 ml plain yogurt, at room temperature
- 7.39 ml paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring about 2 cm of lightly salted water to the boil in a medium-size saucepan. Add the trimmed beans and cook, covered, for 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain in a colander.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter and cook the onion over low heat for one minute.
- Return the beans to the saucepan, add the sour cream and paprika, and stir together. Heat the mixture gently. but do not let it boil or the sauce will curdle.