Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Ina Garten. I modified the directions: Toast the pine nuts first and and then use the same pan to blanch and saute the garlic and green beans. Drain and dry the green beans before heating the oil to saute. Saute the garlic in the oil before adding the beans, instead of adding the garlic at the end with the rest of the gremolata mixture. Original recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/green-beans-gremolata-recipe/index.html
- Place pine nuts in a dry sauté pan over low heat and cook 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add green beans and blanch 2 to 3 minutes, until tender but still crisp.
- Drain beans in a colander and immediately put them in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and preserve their bright green color.
- To make gremolata, toss lemon zest, parsley, parmesan, and pine nuts together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Drain beans and pat dry.
- When ready to serve, heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add beans to skillet and sauté, turning frequently, 2 minutes, until coated with olive oil and heated through.
- Remove beans from hot pan and transfer to a serving platter or bowl (adding the gremolata mixture directly to the hot pan will melt the parmesan and make it gooey, even if the pan is off the heat).
- Add the gremolata to the beans, and toss well.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.