Recipe by SphynxCat29
This is a recipe that my mother has made for years. It is a *wonderful* alternative to the traditional green bean casserole. It has made a regular appearance at the holiday dinner table for years!
Top Review by Darlene Summers
This is a wonderful recipe and the taste is great,but it does take a little longer to do than the traditional green bean casserole,so I will make it for holidays,(Because it is worthy of a nice party/company style meal) but will do the traditional one for every day! Thanks for a great company style dish. Darlene
- 2 (7 1/2 ounce) packagesgreen giant frozen green beans with almonds
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. In a large frying pan, fry bacon and onions until bacon is cooked through and onions are tender. DO NOT DRAIN!
- While bacon is frying, measure out the water and add the chicken bouillon cubes to the water.
- Prepare green beans according to package directions setting the almonds aside.
- When bacon and onions are cooked, add flour to the pan, and stir. This should make a thick paste. Stir in water and bouillon mix and pepper.
- Cook until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Place green beans in a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Add bacon mixture and almonds to the beans, stir. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.