Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is a "make ahead of time" dish. But well worth the wait :)
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped, hot chilies
- 1 (16 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 4 hardboiled egg, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 4 slices crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 small onion, minced
- lettuce leaf
- Whisk oil, cider vinegar, salt and pepper in small bowl until blended; stir in chilies.
- Add to green beans in medium bowl; refrigerate, covered, 2 to 3 hours.
- Combine eggs, mayonnaise, wine vinegar and mustard in small bowl; mix well.
- Refrigerate, covered 2 to 3 hours.
- To serve, toss bacon and onion lightly with beans.
- Spoon into lettuce lined bowl; top with egg mixture.
A nice, zingy, spicy dish! I added minced garlic but otherwise made it the same. Very similar to my "Mom's Bean 'n Bacon Salad" recipe number 27952, but with chilies added. I'll have to try it both ways. :)
My mom had made this and told me about it and it sounded disgusting to me, so I turned my nose up at it. She made it as part of our Christmas meal and after I tried a small bite, I gobbled up my portion and anyone else's portion that was within reach. It's a very unique and delicious taste. I will most definitely be making! Calista, thank you for such an amazing way to eat green beans! We did use french cut green beans instead of regular.
I prepared these for a small dinner party - everyone's initial response when I placed the bowls with the green beans on the table was dubious to say the least, however, upon first taste everyone agreed they were delicious. They all agreed they wouldn't have even tried green beans like this had I not prepared & served it - where I thought the recipe sounded as good when I read it as it tasted the others had to taste to "see" how good they were. Thank you for posting - I will be making these again.