Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
The original of this recipe comes from the 1972 THE ideals FAMILY COOKBOOK. This is a nice way to jazz up an otherwise bland vegetable! If NICE fresh green beans aren't available, use packaged frozen ones. [NOTE: The ingredients were changed on 23 Apr 07 to reflect suggestions made by reviewers.]
- 10 ounces green beans, fresh
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- Steam the beans until just done, about 15-20 minutes, then place in a saucepan.
- Combine the remaining ingredients & blend well.
- Add the cream sauce to the beans & heat through.
This met mixed reviews in my household. I think maybe I should have added a bit of garlic like other reviewers suggested.
YUM! So creaamy, good. This was easy, quick and tasted great! I added about 1/2 tsp of granulated garlic powder because I think garlic makes everything better. Never in a million years would I have thought to put cream cheese with green beans but it was so good. I will be making this regularly from now on. Made for PRMR tag game.
Easy and quick green bean recipe that we enjoyed. I also used canned green beans instead of fresh. Let the cream cheese soften in my pan than whisked in the milk and seasonings. I used cut green beans but I think I would prefer to use french style next time. Thank you Syd for posting! Made and reviewed for the Vegetarian Forum's Recipe Swap.