Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Crisp, low-cal veggie appetizer. Sweet with a slight kick from the dried peppers.
Make and share this Green Beans, Carrots or Cauliflower Marinated in Dill recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs green beans or 2 lbs baby carrots or 2 lbs cauliflower florets
- 2 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 teaspoon dried hot chili peppers, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sake or 2 cups white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- If using green beans, snip ends from beans and wash thoroughly; leave whole or cut in half if long.
- In a large pan bring the 2 quarts water to boil; add the vegetable of your choice and 1 tablespoon of the salt.
- Let water return to a boil and cook veggies, uncovered until veggies are fork tender but still brightly colored (about 3 minutes for cauliflower, 5 minutes for beans or 7 minutes for carrots).
- Drain immediately and cool.
- Pack veggies into a refrigerator container, and add mustard seed, dill weed, chiles, dill seed and garlic.
- Bring to a boil the 2 cups water, wine or vinegar, sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons salt; pour over veggies.
- Cool, cover and chill overnight or as long as 2 weeks.
I've been making these for almost a year now & didn't realize I hadn't rated this recipe. I have made these using carrots and green beans. I highly recommend the carrots. Green beans were just so-so. They keep their color and are a nice surprise of sweet tartness when you bite into them.