Recipe by Chef Kate
These taste so good you could eat them as a first course--or they are a great side with grilled meat or poultry. From Lynne Rosetto Kasper.
Top Review by sassafrasnanc
We loved this recipe. I have a tendency to cook things without completely reading the directions but this recipe turned out so awesome! I added some pepperoni and hard italian sausage and also some balsamic vinegar and let it cook down to be sort of browned. Absolutely wonderful!!
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb green beans, fresh, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 2 ounces mortadella, diced (don't get it sliced like coldcuts but rather cut in a slab)
- 1 cup chicken stock, unsalted, prefereably homemade (may substitute unsalted beef stock)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- salt & fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute over medium high heat till soft--about 4 minutes.
- Turn the heat to high and add the beans, cook, strring frequently, until the onions are a deep golden brown--about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the mortadella, cloves and stock and bring to a gentle boil over medium low heat.
- Cover and cook very slowly for about 15 minutes or until beans are tender, checking occasionally to make sure nothing is sticking (if necessary add a bit of water).
- Warm a serving bowl.
- When the beans are sufficiently soft, uncover the skillet, turn the heat to high, and turning the beans constantly, allow the remaining liquid to thicken.
- Pour into the bowl and serve.