Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Pancetta is a mild, Italian bacon. If not available where you shop, use thin slices of regular bacon. I like this recipe because you can make ahead and keep for up to 2 days. From Chatelaine Magazine.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, slice pancetta into thin strips.
- Finely chopped shallots should measure about 3 tablespoons (45 mL).
- Trim ends from beans.
- Over medium heat, melt butter in a wide frying pan.
- Add pancetta and shallots.
- Stir often 3 to 5 minutes until pancetta is crisp.
- While pancetta is cooking, place beans into boiling water.
- Boil uncovered, 2 to 3 minutes, until almost tender-crisp.
- Drain thoroughly.
- When pancetta is cooked, add hot beans to pan.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Add in vinegar.
- Stir often for about 1 minute, until vinegar is absorbed.
- Turn onto a platter; garnish with Parmesan shavings, if you wish.
- Serve immediately, with Roast Pork, Stuffed With Stilton.
- Make Ahead: After boiling beans, drain and plunge into a bowl of ice water to stop cooking.
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Wrap and refrigerate.
- Prepare shallots and pancetta following the recipe, but do not cook.
- Wrap and refrigerate up to 2 days.
- When ready to cook, continue with recipe.
- Beans, from the refrigerator, may need a couple of extra minutes to heat.
This made a perfect side for our Thanksgiving Feast! I used a 12 oz. bag of prepared green beans that I could nuke instead of boil. I did make ahead and plunge them in an ice water bath. I added a bit more pancetta, cuz I love the stuff. I used both butter and EVOO. It was just delicious and still good the day after! Thanks for a wonderful addition to our Tday feast! 12/3 Update: I made this w/o the pancetta tonight and it was still awesome!
Just wonderful! I used bacon, which worked just as well. Thanks!
wonderful vegetable....we really enjoyed it...I did add a little brown sugar at the end to sweeten it up a little...wonderful fancy vegetable to serve dinner guests...and so easy...