Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another green bean casserole but no soup can to open.
- 2 cups fresh green beans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a pot of boiling water, cook green beans till crisp/tender, 2-4 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the liquid.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; blend in flour and seasonings. Stir until smooth and bubbling.
- Add reserved bean stock & milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
- Place beans in a greased, 1 quart casserole. Pour sauce over the top. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
Yummy! Also good cold out of the fridge the next day!
This is a great way to serve green beans! We loved the mix of cheese and spices with the milk. I had slices of swiss cheese, so used that instead of grated cheese. Thanks Susie!
What a tasty sauce!! I made the mistake of trying to rush this recipe through and didn't allow the sauce to thicken quite as much as I should have. I used a little less than 1lb fresh green beans and sliced swiss cheese instead of grated...we'll be sure to work this into our regular rotation.