Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is fairly easy to make despite the various steps. It is excellent served with Meatloaf or Clamloaf. My son ate all his beans, so that is as good as five stars for me ;). I used Barilla brand Spinach and Cheese dried Tortellini and followed the package instructions to cook them.
- 1 lb raw stringless green beans
- 1 lb tortellini
- 3 quarts water
- 1⁄4 cup minced white onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix (or 1/4 teaspoon other seasoning blend)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Bring salted water to a boil in large pot.
- Wash and inspect beans.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy 10 inch frying pan. (I use cast iron.).
- Carefully immerse beans in water for no more than 2 minutes.
- Do not dump out water; scoop out beans with tongs or strainer into colander.
- Run cold water over beans in sink to stop cooking and set aside.
- Return water to boil and cook tortellini according to instructions of package OR if you are making fresh tortellini from a recipe, save this step till after beans and sauce are done so that they will be hot and not over cooked.
- While waiting for tortellini to cook add onion and garlic to olive oil, brown slightly and add beans.
- Stir frequently; if they need more oil add some of the butter now.
- When beans begin to sizzle remove them, leaving most of the onions and garlic behind, with tongs to covered bowl and keep warm.
- Be sure to keep an eye on the tortellini and stir them.
- Add the rest of the butter to pan and stir.
- Stir in half of the milk lower the heat to medium.
- Mix the rest of the milk with corn starch in a cup or jar and set aside for a moment.
- Stir half of the cheese, and all of the pepper, and Mrs. Dash into pan with a whisk.
- Stir in the rest of the milk mixture and stir until thickened.
- Set heat to low and gradually stir in the rest of the cheese until melted. (Now cook pasta if using fresh ones).
- Add a little, less that 1/4 cup, of the cooking water from the pasta to the sauce and stir.
- Pour sauce into serving container, cover and set aside.
- In a large serving bowl mix cooked Tortellini and beans, serve immediately with sauce on the side.