Recipe by Boomette
Posted for ZWT for Germany. From Allrecipes : "Fresh green beans are simmered with pears and bacon until tender in this dish with German roots."
Top Review by Debbwl
This was quite interesting but not bad. The mix of sweet and savory makes these beans a very nice change of pace. Was pleasantly surprised the pears held up in the boiling as they did. Made as written. Thanks for the post.
- 1⁄2 lb thick sliced bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 bosc pears, cored, cut into quarters
- 1 quart water
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the bacon in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until partially cooked but not brown, 5 to 6 minutes; drain on paper towels.
- Combine the drained bacon, green beans, and pears in a large saucepan; pour enough water over the mixture to cover. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat to low and simmer until cooked and tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the pan to a serving dish with a slotted spoon, draining excess water. Season with salt and pepper to serve.