Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Posted for ZWT for Germany. From Allrecipes : "Fresh green beans are simmered with pears and bacon until tender in this dish with German roots."
- 1⁄2 lb thick sliced bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 bosc pears, cored, cut into quarters
- 1 quart water
- salt and pepper
- Cook the bacon in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until partially cooked but not brown, 5 to 6 minutes; drain on paper towels.
- Combine the drained bacon, green beans, and pears in a large saucepan; pour enough water over the mixture to cover. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat to low and simmer until cooked and tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the pan to a serving dish with a slotted spoon, draining excess water. Season with salt and pepper to serve.
This was quite interesting but not bad. The mix of sweet and savory makes these beans a very nice change of pace. Was pleasantly surprised the pears held up in the boiling as they did. Made as written. Thanks for the post.