Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
Beats the frozen stuff!
- 10 ounces white pearl onions, peeled
- 3⁄4 lb green beans (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon summer savory
- 1 fluid ounce olive oil
- crumbled cooked bacon (optional) or diced ham (optional)
- If you are using fresh green beans, boil them 5 to 8 minutes or until they are tender.
- Sauté the pearl onions in the olive oil until they are translucent.
- Add the green beans (with ends removed) and summer savory and cook over low heat until heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, add some unsalted butter if desired and serve hot.
- Make it even yummier and heartier by throwing in some crumbled bacon or small diced ham.
- For a Vegan/Vegetarian version omit the optional bacon and ham or use Vegetarian bacon or Vegetarian ham.
These were great. I did opt for some butter, but left out the bacon... next time I'll add in some veggie bacon b/c I am sure that will make them even better!
A delicious fix for frozen vegetables. Both the beans and pearl onions were frozen. I cooked them in the microwave for 1/2 the recommended time then added to the pan with a touch of olive oil and completed the cooking process. Finely diced Canadian bacon was used for the diced ham.
Yummy is right! Used everything fresh from the garden and a bit of bacon instead of the olive oil and butter. Only change I'll make next time is to double it.