Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely shredded lemons, rind of
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 fennel bulbs, trimmed or 2 medium sweet onions, cut into wedges (3 lbs)
- 1 3⁄4 lbs green beans, trimmed
- In a small bowl stir together butter, fennel seeds, lemon peel, pepper, and salt.
- Set aside.
- Cut fennel into quarters; remove cores.
- Cut fennel lengthwise into 1/4 inch strips.
- In a covered 4-quart Dutch Oven cook beans in a small amount of boiling salted water for 5 minutes.
- Add fennel.
- Cook for 5 to 8 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender; drain.
- Add butter mixture.
- Toss gently to coat.
My entire family enjoyed this. Definitely a different, interesting way to make green beans.