Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is one of my favorite ways to make green beans. I use canned beans for convenience, but you could substitute fresh or frozen with great results too.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick wedges
- 2 (16 ounce) cans green beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- salt and pepper
- In a large non-stick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Pour off all but 1-2 tablespoons bacon drippings.
- Add onions; cook over medium-low heat 35 to 40 minutes or until very soft, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, warm green beans in microwave.
- Stir in vinegar and sugar into onions. Increase heat to medium-high; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- Stir in green beans and bacon; toss lightly.
- Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Serve immediately.
Good beans. Simple and tasty. They went well with chicken fried steak for a nice comfort meal. Thanks Chris from Kansas. Made for Bargain Basement tag.