Recipe by litldarlin
This recipe is great for those who have been diagnosed with High Cholesterol, like myself.
- 1 teaspoon light margarine
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium vegetable broth or 1⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the margarine and swirl to coat the bottom.
- Cook the green beans for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the broth, oregano, and pepper.
- Cook for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Stir in the onions.
- Cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the beans are tender crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a small nonstick pan, dry-roast the almonds over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle the cooked beans with the almonds and bread crumbs.
- Note: When green beans are in season, buy extra to freeze.
- Trim and slice the beans.
- Blanch them in boiling water to cover by 1 inch for 1 minute.
- Remove them from the hot water and run them under cold water.
- Cool the beans then freeze them for up to six months.
- Thaw and use in this recipe as directed.