Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is how my mother cooked green beans. It is still the most delicious way to do them.
- 1 kg green beans, topped and tailed
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- salt and pepper (to season)
- Place potatoes and onions covered in water and bring to the boil for approximately 15 minutes.
- Add the green beans for 5 minutes more.
- At this time the potatoes should be very soft.
- Drain the mixture of all the water.
- Add seasonings - a lot of pepper is delicious.
- Then take a fork and mash everything together - just slightly to meld all the flavours but still very chunky.
This is a traditional "Sunday Roast" side dish in South Africa -with just a small variation - called Boere Boontjies (pronounced Boorah Boinkeyes). Not being so health conscious perhaps, we start the onion and potato in some butter and then add the beans with a fatty piece of stewing beef such as shin. We also cook for quite a bit longer so that the beans are quite soft. Maybe not great for cholestrol, but really tasty.
Very good and health too.... I found that I liked the beans done just a little bit longer, although my husband liked the crispness in contrast to the soft potatos.