Adapted from River Road Recipes II, the Junior League of Baton Rouge and made my way. This is very tasty with a hint of lemon and the crunch of the topping.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash red cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup savory herbs seasoned stuffing mix
- crumbled bacon (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Add parsley and onions and saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Add salt, pepper, cayenne, lemon zest and sour cream.
- Add beans and mix well.
- Transfer into a 2 quart casserole and top with stuffing mix (and crumbled bacon if using).
- Drizzle butter over the top.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
This makes a very good green bean side dish! I enjoyed the subtleness of the lemon (I used lemon juice) and the rest of the seasonings. I probably should have bought the stuffing mix crumbs rather than the cubes, but it still tasted good. I omitted the bacon this time because I didn't have any, but I'm sure that would make it even more delicious. Made for Football Week #1. Congratulations on your win!
Wonderful change from the normal green bean casserole. I cut the recipe in half, as only two of us for dinner tonite. I was lazy and just used some lemon juice instead of the lemon zest. Nice textures with the crispy topping!!! Thanks Nimz for a great recipe.
This was really good, I especially liked the lemon flavor. I halved the recipe and used 2 cups frozen french-cut green beans and I left out the bacon. I accidentaly forgot to halve the lemon zest and it was a bit too strong, but I'll make sure to measure right next time. Thanks for posting.