Recipe by cynthiawilliams
Don't remember where this came from, but every single person (except 13 year old daughter, but then again, she is "allergic to green stuff"!) loves this. Don't let the anchovies scare you, they cook down! Even anchovy haters love this recipe.
Top Review by Highland Lass
I love this recipe...the anchovies, olives and hot pepper flakes certainly make the dish. I did incorporate the peppers rather than the pimentos.
We had this with grilled halibut and it was a perfect compliment. It just goes to show that green beans are capable of so much more.
Thank you Chef for sharing this with us!
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs green beans, ends trimmed
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 -4 whole garlic cloves
- 3 -4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green olives, pitted and halved
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup pimientos or 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper, strips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Blanch green beans in very salty water until crisp-tender.
- Drain and transfer to an ice bath to cool briefly.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil until hot.
- Add the garlic cloves and the anchovy fillets and saute briefly.
- Add green olives and pimientos and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the green beans, crushed red pepper and salt, to taste. Continue to saute until green beans are hot and the flavors have come together, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Serve hot.