Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have been using this recipe for ages. I found it in the newspaper years ago and I like to make it when I have company as a side dish with whatever else I happen to be making, i.e. steak, chicken or chops. If you're a garlic lover, then just crush the cloves into the beans rather than leaving them whole.
- Parboil beans in salted water 7-10 minutes, then drain.
- Cut bacon into 1" slices and begin to fry slowly.
- Add mushrooms and garlic cloves.
- Stir and fry until mushrooms are cooked, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove garlic cloves.
- Add the green beans and mix together, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
I altered the recipe a bit to suit my taste, but these were delicious!
We have some vegetarians in our family so I left out the bacon and used no stick spray to cook the mushrooms. I also used fresh minced garlic instead of whole cloves. I was afraid that the beans wouldn't have much flavor with out the bacon so I added extra garlic. Everyone loved them. Even my little one who isn't a big bean fan. Thanks for the great recipe! We will be making this again and again!
I trippled the recipe for a potluck with 28 adults + kids... only had 6 beans left in the pot at the end of the meal! My picky friend who hates green beans even like them and had some. This is a true crowd-pleaser. Will make next time, to go with pork chops #15117 - YUMMM!!