Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A hearty soup that was a favorite when I was a child. You won't believe how good this tastes from the simple ingredient list!!!!!! Kudos to my Grandmother who was a great cook. I miss you.
- 1 medium onion (yellow or white)
- 4 cans of sliced green beans or 4 cans wax beans or 1 lb fresh green beans or 1 lb pole beans or 1 lb greasy back beans
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons shortening or 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (optional)
- add beans to pot with packing liquid. or water.
- Thinly slice or dice onion and add to pot.
- Add bay leaf, salt and pepper to taste and paprika.
- Bring to boil then reduce to simmer, cook for 30 minutes for fresh or 10 minutes for canned.
- Heat shortening or bacon grease in pan, add flour and cook rue for several minutes.
- Add sour cream to rue and stir until combined.
- Add mixture to pot.
- Vinegar will give the soup extra bite. Add now.
- Bring to a boil to thicken soup, stir well for two minutes then serve.
Thank you Mark for sharing your Grandmother's recipe! Instead of water I used chicken broth and loved the addition of the sour cream and flour mixture. Very easy to make! (Made and reviewed for Pick A Chef 2007)