Mark Kovach's Note:
A hearty soup that was a favorite when I was a child. You won't believe how good this tastes from the simple ingredient list!!!!!! Kudos to my Grandmother who was a great cook. I miss you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion (yellow or white)
- 4 cans of sliced green beans or 4 cans wax beans or 1 lb fresh green beans or 1 lb pole beans or 1 lb greasy back beans
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons shortening or 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (optional)
- 1add beans to pot with packing liquid. or water.
- 2Thinly slice or dice onion and add to pot.
- 3Add bay leaf, salt and pepper to taste and paprika.
- 4Bring to boil then reduce to simmer, cook for 30 minutes for fresh or 10 minutes for canned.
- 5Heat shortening or bacon grease in pan, add flour and cook rue for several minutes.
- 6Add sour cream to rue and stir until combined.
- 7Add mixture to pot.
- 8Vinegar will give the soup extra bite. Add now.
- 9Bring to a boil to thicken soup, stir well for two minutes then serve.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.1
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 29.9 mg
- Sodium 57.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 4.8 g