Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipes by Clotilde Dusoulier, drawn from the book Chocolate & Zucchini
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh green beans
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup parsley
- 3 ounces ham
- 1⁄3 cup pecans
- Steam the beans for 10 minutes (12 if they are frozen), until cooked through but still crisp (if your steamer if small, work in two batches to ensure even cooking). Dump the beans in a large bowl of ice-cold water, to stop the cooking and preserve the beans' colour. Drain thoroughly.
- In a medium salad bowl, whisk together the oil and vinegar. Season with a little salt- not too much, as dry-cured ham is quite salty- and a generous grind of pepper. Add the beans and parsley, and toss gently to coat. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Arrange the ham and pecans over the beans. Serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to a day. Remove from the fridge half an hour before eating. (You can also plate the salad individually: divide the beans among plates, and top with ham and pecans.).