Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I usually make this fantastic salad when green beans are plentiful in my veggie garden. This is one of the best green bean salads you will ever have! please don't leave out the kalamata olives or hazelnuts, it's what makes this salad! Prepare ahead this salad needs to chill for a minimum of 3 hours before serving. Also all ingredients can be adjusted to suit taste. Double or triple the ingredients to serve a crowd!
- 2 lbs fresh green beans, ends removed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar (or to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon liquid honey
- 1⁄2 cup green onions (or to taste) or 1⁄2 cup shallot, thinly sliced (or to taste)
- 1 cup kalamata olive, pitted (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped (or to taste)
- Prepare a large bowl with ice in it.
- Place the beans in a pot on top of stove, and cover with boiling water (make certain that the water is already boiled an still hot).
- Bring to a medium boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes (no more than that).
- Drain the beans and plunge into ice water (this will help stop the cooking process and retain the bright green colour).
- Place the beans to dry on a towel.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, minced garlic, honey and red wine vinegar (start with 3 tablespoons vinegar adding more to taste).
- Place the beans in a large bowl and pour the oil mixture over them; toss well to combine.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the crushed hazelnuts, olives and green onion or shallots (if using) mix well to combine.
- Chill for a minimum of 3 hours before serving.
I've had this recipe in my cookbook since the day it was published, and I am thrilled that I finally made it. This salad has such wonderful flavor, neither sour nor sweet, but a perfect balance with just that touch of honey. The olives give just enough salt to marry all of the other flavors. I did halve the recipe, an the only change I made was to cut back on the amount of oil. I made this in th morning, and by dinner the flavors were perfect. Do make this one ahead so that it has time to marinate. Thank you Kittencal for sharing the recipe - leftovers at lunch were even better.