Recipe by Whipper
This salad is as delicious as it is beautiful, and makes for a great BBQ sidedish. Sometimes when I get the winter blahs, I'll make this and it feels like summer again!
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (3-4 ears)
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 small red onion, cut half then into thin slices
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- kosher salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the corn kernels from the ears, while bringing a pot of water to a boil.
- When the water comes to a boil, add the corn kernels and blanch for about 1 minute. Remove them with a strainer and set aside.
- Let the water return to a boil and season generously with salt. Add the beans and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain the beans and flush with cold water until they are cool.
- Meanwhile, put the onion slices in a bowl of ice water, which will crips them and mellow their flavor.
- Using either a mortar and pestel or the flat side of a chef's knife, mash the garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt.
- Add the paste to a small bowl (or leave it in the mortar) and whisk in the vinegar and let sit for 10 minutes. Add the olive oil and whisk again.
- Just before serving, drain the onions. Put the beans, corn, onions, tomatoes, and basil in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and then toss with the vinaigrette. Season further if required. Serve right away.