Prep 2 mins
Cook 10 mins
My dad came up with this in his bachelor days using a basic white sauce recipe. I love it because it is so easy,quick, and pantry friendly. To make more simply use 2 cans and 2 tbsp of cornstarch.
- 1 can green beans ( french/cut)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ounce Velveeta cheese or 2 slices American cheese
- salt and pepper
- open can and leave lid on.
- drain juice from can into a small sauce pan.
- add cornstarch and stir.
- add cheese.
- now turn on heat to boiling stir constantly.
- when thick and bubbly add green beans.
- add lemon,salt,and pepper.
I used mild, shredded cheddar, and thought it was fabulous, a bigger cheese punch than Velveeta. I was short on lemon juice, but you can tell, biting into a forkful, how much the other half of the lemon juice will be next time. Great idea! Tell your dad I sent it to one of my boys.. :)
Really good, this was a nice change to plain old canned green beans. I didn't have any cheese except Smoked Gouda so I made it using that. YUM! I think this is the kind of recipe that would adapt well using a large variety of cheeses
This recipe was great and quick. A wonderful side dish. Even my kids liked it. I suggest using french cut green beans, they hold the sauce better.