Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
My sister in-law made this for Christmas and it was absolutely wonderful. Definitely the type of dish you hope has leftovers. It can also be combined a day ahead and baked when needed.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine soup, 1 cup cheese, sour cream, wine, salt, and pepper.
- In a large skillet, sauté mushrooms, onion, and garlic in butter over medium heat just until tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in green beans.
- Stir in soup mixture.
- Spoon all into a greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of cheese and toasted almonds slivers.
- Bake 35-45 minutes until hot and bubbly.
I made this for our Christmas dinner too, and it was a pleasant change from the usual green bean casserole. I used frozen green beans instead of canned, but other than that made the recipe as written. The only change I would make next time is to use less Swiss cheese -- maybe only 1 cup. Thanks for posting!
I made this for Christmas dinner. Everyone just loved it, they have never tried a green bean casserole before. There was no leftovers to be had. The only changes I made was to use regular cream of mushroom soup and not the golden. As well I used fresh green beans and cut them in two and steam cooked them. Sent my Dad out to get Swiss cheese but he came back with mozzarella, which didn't affect the taste at all. It turned out absolutely delicious. Thanks so much for the recipe, sorry I couldn't take a pic, didn't have my camera with me at the time. I will be making this again and will take a pic. Thanks
Great reviews from my husband who normally only tolerates green beans. He had three helpings tonight. I prepared the entire recipe and am freezing half of it before the baking stage. I will post the results after defrost and baking. Thanks for posting a winner!