Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Hot, filling and tasty recipe for cool winter months. My Grandma handed this down to me and it's a household favorite and very easy to make.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can French style green beans
- 1 (18 ounce) can chicken gumbo soup
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 cups rice
- salt and pepper
- Brown ground beef in hot sauce and soya sauce.
- Add in green beans with juice and bring to a boil.
- Add gumbo soup with 1/2 tin water and turn down to simmer for 25 minutes.
- Make rice and serve with above over top.
- Note: You can add more soya or hot sauce to your own tastes.
This was a great, super-easy meal! The title seems a bit misleading, though. The green beans mix in with the rest of the dish quite well, and don't really stand out too much on their own--a huge plus, if you ask my husband! It seemed an odd combination of ingredients, but I had a can of chicken gumbo soup and some ground beef that I needed to do something with, and I'm really glad I tried this recipe. It's nothing fancy, but it's a great one for busy families. Even my kids ate it. I thought the hot sauce might make it to hot for them, but it didn't add heat to the dish at all. The grown-ups added extra hot sauce at the table! We will definitely be making it again. I think it should be renamed, though, so that more people can find it. I almost didn't bother looking at it, thinking it was a recipe for a side dish. I'm glad I did check it out, though. Otherwise, I would have missed out on an incredibly quick and easy, good-tasting meal! ADDENDUM: I forgot to add that you might want to take it easy on the salt until you've tasted it. We found it didn't need any additional salt to suit our tastes.