Prep 30 mins
Cook 42 mins
I love fresh green beans.
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 2 lbs fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1⁄4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 2 cups grated swiss cheese
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in flour and stir until bubbly.
- Add in milk and stir about 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add in sugar, salt, pepper, and onion; fold in sour cream and set aside.
- In a medium-size pan over medium heat, add beans and 1/2 cup water.
- Cover and cook about 5 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender; drain well.
- Place beans in an 11x7 inch baking dish or gratin dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Add sauce and almonds; mix well.
- Sprinkle cheese on top; do not stir.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt remaining butter and stir in crumbs.
- Sprinkle on top of gratin; bake, uncovered, for about 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
We had our neighbors over for dinner and wanted a way to dress up green beans. It was a hit and they wanted the recipe. I used cheddar because I did not have swiss on hand. I'll have to compare the two. I've made it with cheddar both times so far.