Recipe by KelBel
A different type of chowder. Use fresh or frozen green beans.
Top Review by onesweetworldpa
This was so easy to make! It was also very filling, which is usually not the case with meatless soups and chowders. I added chicken stock in place of the 2c of water for a little extra richness. The sour cream gave the dish a wonderful little tang and added even more to the creaminess. The second time I made it, I lightened the recipe by using turkey bacon, low-fat sour cream, and super skim milk and it was just as creamy and wonderful.
- 6 slices bacon, cut up
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed and chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup potato, chopped & peeled
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3-quart saucepan cook bacon until crisp.
- Add green beans, carrot, potato, onion, salt and pepper. Mix together and add water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add beans and cook 5 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
- Blend sour cream and flour together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Pour 1 cup of the hot vegetable mixture into the sour cream mixture and combine. Return to saucepan.
- Stir in milk and heat until slightly thickened, being careful not to boil.