Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've had more requests for this classy, easy recipe over the years than I can count! It's unique from the soup and french fried onion version, and was a favourite of an old friend - the ultimate dinner party hostess of the 60's and 70's. I've never been fond of green beans, but this changed my mind and is a hit with all ages. It's perfect for a family dinner and can be made the day before and reheated for guests. It's a real winner.
- 2⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cottage cheese (full fat is the best)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups green beans, cooked (french cut frozen)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1 dash pepper
- Saute onion in butter until onion is transparent.
- Combine onion with cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, bread crumbs, eggs and seasonings.
- Place half the cooked green beans in a large buttered casserole dish.
- Top with half of the cheese mixture, then remaining beans and cheese mixture.
- Bake 30 minutes at 375.