1/5 Photos of Green Bean Casserole - No Canned Onions or Soup
If you're looking for an update to the classic green bean casserole, this is it. It's very fresh tasting. Adapted from a Penzey's spice catalog from several years ago. The cooking sherry is optional, but it really adds to the flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 tablespoon minced lemon peel
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cooking sherry
- 20 ounces frozen French-cut green beans
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1Cook green beans according to package directions.
- 2In a medium saucepan over low heat saute onions, thyme and parsley in butter for 5 minutes.
- 3Blend in salt, pepper, flour and lemon peel. Add sour cream and sherry, and cook on low for 3 minutes.
- 4Grease a medium/large casserole dish with butter, add cooked and drained beans to the dish. Pour the sour cream and spice mix over the beans, stir gently to coat. Sprinkle grated cheese and bread crumbs over the top of the dish.
- 5Bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes, until topping is lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Bean Casserole - No Canned Onions or Soup
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 187.8
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 30.0 mg
- Sodium 291.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 4.8 g