If you're looking for an update to the classic green bean casserole, this is it. It's very fresh tasting. Adapted from a Penzey's spice catalog from several years ago. The cooking sherry is optional, but it really adds to the flavor.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon minced lemon peel
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cooking sherry
- 20 ounces frozen French-cut green beans
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Cook green beans according to package directions.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat saute onions, thyme and parsley in butter for 5 minutes.
- Blend in salt, pepper, flour and lemon peel. Add sour cream and sherry, and cook on low for 3 minutes.
- Grease a medium/large casserole dish with butter, add cooked and drained beans to the dish. Pour the sour cream and spice mix over the beans, stir gently to coat. Sprinkle grated cheese and bread crumbs over the top of the dish.
- Bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes, until topping is lightly browned.