Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
Every year it is my BF's and my job to bring the green bean casserole to the Thanksgiving dinner. The recipe started with us just adding bacon (because EVERYTHING is better with bacon) and then we added more "stuff" till we came up with this super fattening, garlic laden delight. Maybe next time we might have to add shredded cheese and some sauteed onions. . . food for thought :)
- 1 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped (or more if you like)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup (or the Cream of Mushroom Soup with Roasted Garlic)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (or half and half)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) bags frozen French-cut green beans, thawed, drained and squeezed of extra water
- 2 2⁄3 cups French's French fried onions
- Sauté chopped garlic in the butter and olive oil, add mushrooms until mostly soft.
- Set aside to cool.
- When cooled, drain off extra liquid.
- Mix soup, milk, pepper, 1/2 of the crumbled bacon, sautéed mushrooms, green beans and 1 1/3 cups French Fried Onions in a large bowl.
- Transfer into large baking dish and spread into even layer.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minute or until hot.
- Stir and then top with remaining 1 1/3 cup onions and bacon.
- Bake 5 minute until onions are golden.
I have made this recipe for a couple of years now, this will be my third. Everyone loves this casserole and it is my go to dish for holidays. I use baby Portobello mushrooms and they turn out great. It is important to get the extra water out of the de-thawed green beans. I failed to do this the first time and the result, while tasted good was a little soupy. I use a salad spinner to get the water off of them.
My whole family loved this one! I really like the garlic in it. Yes, I'm a garlic head. lol The mushrooms adsorb the oil/butter as your cooking them. But once you reach the point that they become soft, they start releasing water. I could not find my can of soup w/roasted garlic so I used a can of golden mushroom soup. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I adopted this chef for the *Spring PAC 2008* game