My sister-in-law told me about this version of green bean casserole. This is a great recipe made with fresh ingredients!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slice white bread, each slice torn into quarters
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter, softened
- 1.23 ml table salt
- 0.59 ml ground black pepper
- 709.77 ml canned fried onions (about 6 oz.)
- 907.18 g green beans, ends trimmed and halved
- 44.37 ml unsalted butter
- 453.59 g white button mushrooms, stems trimmed, wiped clean, and broken into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 44.37 ml unbleached all-purpose flour
- 354.88 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 354.88 ml heavy cream
- 1For the topping: Pulse bread, butter, salt, and pepper in food processor until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 10 one-second pulses. Transfer to large bowl and toss with onions; set aside.
- 2Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees.
- 3Fill large bowl with ice water. Bring 4 qts. of water to boil in large Dutch oven. Add two tbls. salt and the green beans. Cook beans until bright green and crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Drain beans in colander and plunge immediately into ice water to stop cooking. Spread beans on paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
- 4Add butter to now-empty Dutch oven and melt over medium-high heat until foaming subsides. Add mushrooms, garlic, 3/4 teaspoons salt, and 1/8 teaspoons pepper; cook until mushrooms release moisture and liquid evaporates, about 6 minutes. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and bring to simmer, stirring constantly. Add cream, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until sauce is thickened and reduced to 3 1/2 cups, about 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Add green beans to sauce and stir until evenly coated. Arrange in even layer in 3 quart (or 13 x 9") baking dish. Sprinkle with topping and bake until top is golden brown ans sauce is bubbling around edges, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
- 6To prepare ahead: Store breadcrumb topping in an airtight container in the refrigerator and combine with the onion just before cooking. Combine the beans and cooled sauce in a baking dish, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. To serve, remove plastic wrap and heat casserole in a 425 degree oven for 10 minutes, then add the topping and bake as directed. This recipe can be halved and baked in a 2 quart (or 8" square) baking dish. Reduce cooking time of the sauce in Step 3 to about 6 minutes and the baking time in Step 4 to 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Bean Casserole from Cooks Illustrated
Serving Size: 1 (189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 252.7
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 64.1 mg
- Sodium 142.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: