Golf Gal's Note:
It's green and fantastically delicious. A perfect St. Paddy's Day or side dish for any day. This tasty and unique Green Bean Casserole With Crispy Shallots comes from the "Estrella Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution Cookbook, Flavors of Home and Country.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 medium shallots, sliced into thin rings or 1 cup sliced shallot
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh string beans, trimmed
- 1 lb fresh button mushrooms, sliced thin
- 6 large fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups milk (low fat or regular)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, for top
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1Step 1: In a pot, steam green beans covered for 3-4 minutes, until bright green but still crisp. Set aside.
- 2Step 2: In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add one-fourth cup shallots, stirring until light golden brown. Transfer with slotted spoon to paper towel. Repeat the process with remaining shallots. Reserve oil.
- 3Step 3: In the skillet with shallot oil, saute mushrooms until they begin to brown. Add garlic and thyme, cooking for a few minutes. Transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl.
- 4Step 4: In a bowl whist together flour and milk to dissolve flour. Add to skillet and bring to a simmer, whisking continuously until thickened. Remove pan from heat and stir in green beans, mushrooms, one-third cup Parmesan cheese, parsley, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- 5Step 5: Spoon green bean mixture into a greased 3-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with shallots and remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and cook another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green-Bean Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.9
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 17.5 mg
- Sodium 357.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 9.2 g