1/3 Photos of Green Bean Casserole
1 hr 10 mins
An updated version of the '50s classic. In his restaurant, Brooklyn Star in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, chef Joaquin Baca serves this still sizzling, in individual cast iron skillets, straight from his brick oven. His philosophy is to never serve food from cans, that you can make yourself.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 small red onions, chopped
- 4 ounces butter (1 stick)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs green beans, trimmed
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 white pearl onions, thinly sliced
- 1In a food processor, combine half of the mushrooms and both onions; process t form a paste and set aside.
- 2Melt the butter, over medium heat, in a large saucepan; add remaining mushrooms, stir, increase heat a bit and saute until mushrooms release their juice and begin to brown on the edges.
- 3Add garlic and thyme, stir about 30 seconds, then add mushroom/onion paste, reduce heat to medium low, cook, stirring, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 4Add cream and stock, season with salt and pepper.
- 5Prepare an ice water bath (large bowl of iced water) and bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 6Blanch green beans in the boiling water until bright green and barely tender, about a minute; drain and transfer beans to ice water bath.
- 7Drain beans and add to a large mixing bowl; stir in mushrooms, almonds, and 1/4 cup bread crumbs.
- 8Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 9Transfer to a 9 x 12 inch baking dish; pat down and level out.
- 10Sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs, then bake, uncovered, until lightly browned, about 35 minutes.
- 11Meanwhile, prepare the garnish by heating the oil in a small skillet until it simmers.
- 12In a mixing bowl, season the flour lightly with salt and pepper; add sliced pearl onions and toss to coat.
- 13Fry onions in skillet until golden, about 30 to 45 seconds; drain on paper toweling.
- 14Sprinkle fried onions over casserole once removed from oven.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Bean Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 468.8
- Calories from Fat 353
- Total Fat 39.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 71.2 mg
- Sodium 174.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: