Recipe by Sirona Sky
A different take on the traditional.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Although I'm afraid I changed this recipe a little too much, we did have a wonderful tasting casserole to accompany our chicken dinner ~ I omitted the dried mushrooms (personal choice) & steamed the beans instead of using a broth for boiling them! For the crushed crackers I used our ol' standard, Milton's Multi-Grain Crackers, which we now use whenever soda crackers are listed! In spite of all that, I do like your recipe & will be keeping it around for future reference! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef] Want to check out PAC? Click here http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498
- 4 cups fresh green beans
- 2 tablespoons dried mushrooms
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup cow milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 1 quart vegetarian broth or 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 ounces of good cheddar cheese (I used white cheddar with truffles)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (I used creole salt)
- 1 cup crushed cracker
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Boil green beans in broth until tender but still crisp.
- 2. in a small sauce pan melt butter with olive oil and add flour wisk into a paste.
- 3. add half the milk to the paste a little at a time this is your sauce base.
- 4. add dried mushrooms and garlic and half the salt and pepper.
- 5. add cheese to sauce and slowly wisk in the rest of the milk.
- 6 drain green beans and save broth for another use.
- 7. taste sauce and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- 8 pour green beans into casserole dish pour sauce over and mix well.
- 9 top with crushed crackers and a little drizzle of olive oil.
- 10. bake at 350 for about 30 min until golden and bubbling.