Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is soooooo good!! A family favorite for the two of us, or at family gatherings.
- 2 packages frozen French style green beans
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 can Campbell's half-fat condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 can French fried onion rings or 1 cup chopped almonds
- Cook green beans for half of the cooking time and drain well.
- In a large greased casserole, layer the green beans, water chestnuts, mushroom soup and cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle French-fried onion rings on top and bake 5 minutes longer.
- This casserole may be made ahead of time and refrigerated.
I made this casserole for Christmas dinner. A favorite of all my family's. Rich and cheesy with the wonderful crunchy onion topping. Very easy and delicious.
This casserole was fantastic! I've made several green been casseroles in my day, but not one did I ever like until I tried this recipe! I used 2 cans (14 and 1/2 ounces each) Del Monte French Style Green Beans, drained for 30 minutes upside down (along with the lid to hold the beans within the can-do not cook the beans). I mixed 4 tablespoons of milk with the can of soup, which made for easier spreading when it was time to be placed on top of the green beans (do not add any other liquid to the soup, other than the 4 tablespoons of milk. After baking the beans there will be a very small amount of milk liquid at the bottom of the casserole dish, which needs to be removed after you serve the first portion to a family member. I divided the drained water chestnuts into 4 equal portions, then cut each portion into quarters. This was an awesome recipe, thanks for sharing!
I liked this much more than the usual canned green bean casserole, but it still isn't a big favorite of mine. I like that it wasn't overly soupy and soggy; plus, the cheese was nice. I used both the French fried onion and the almonds on top and I was pleased with that. All in all, it is pretty good. Thanx!