Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
It's easy. It's delicious. Perfect for potlucks.
Make and share this Green Bean Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups cut green beans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs (I use whole croutons(seasoned) or 3⁄4 cup potato chips, crumbs (I use whole croutons(seasoned)
- Cook green beans in salted water until almost done. Melt butter, stir in salt, sugar, flour, pepper and onion. Add sour cream, then heat through. Fold in green beans, put in casserole dish.
- Mix crumbs with melted butter, then with cheese. Sprinkle over green beans.
- Bake at 400 deg. F for 20 minutes or longer in a moderate oven.
- **option: use carrots as a substitute for green beans**.
I loved this! I love this as a great alternative to that famous green bean casserole we all probably know. I am going to make this for Thanksgiving, too. Thanks for sharing!
DH and I really enjoyed this. I cut the recipe in half and used can green beans (that is what I had and I will try this with fresh) and otherwise followed the instructions. Very nice not to have to use can soup. Thank you for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2012.