Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I made this for Thanksgiving. I like the addition of the carrots for colour. I recommend using fresh green beans & carrots.
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 3⁄4 cups cooked green beans
- 1 3⁄4 cups cooked carrots, sliced in coins
- 1⁄2 cup Ritz cracker crumbs or 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Cook onions slightly in fat, add flour and seasoning; blend well.
- Add milk gradually and cook until slightly thickened.
- Add eggs slowly and wisk quickly to cook over low heat,1 minute.
- Add cheese and stir in vegetables.
- Pour into greased baking dish; cover with crumbs and dot with butter.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350) for 30 minutes.
- Note: Undercook the green beans and carrots as they will be cooked again in the oven. I steam mine for 5 minutes only.
My 85 year old mother has made this recipe for over 50 years. It is a staple at our holiday dinners. It came from a cookbook she received for her wedding in 1949! Excellent!!!