Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Great for holidays or any special meal. From the family cookbook--yum!UPDATE: To crisp up the bacon, place under the broiler for up to 5 minutes.
- 3 (16 ounce) cans green beans, drained (whole)
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 8 -10 slices bacon, cut in half
- Melt margarine.
- Stir in brown sugar and cook for a few minutes until smooth.
- Pour over the drained green beans, marinating at least 2 hours. (You can marinate overnight).
- Wrap about 8-12 (more or less) beans in a half slice of bacon, securing with a toothpick.
- Arrange bundles in glass baking dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Plan on at least 2 bundles per person!
We make these all the time. The kids fight over them. I have found that although good, the brown sugar and margarine/butter are not necessary....the bacon provides great flavor and no need for the extra calories from the butter and sugar. I use canned whole green beans. I bake the bundles at 425F for about 20-40 minutes, depending on the thickness of the bacon.
The first time I made these the bocon was not crispy enough, the second time I cooked them for longer and the green beans were shriveled. Any advice?
Boy, did my boys plow through this one! I stemaed some fresh green beans for about 5 minutes, then followed the instructions, except I added just a little bit of onion and garlic powder to the margerine and sugar. They loved this! Thanks for posting!