Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Different twist on preparing green beans! Forget dishes that have beans swimming around in a cream of mushroom ocean--it's all about vegetables with a hint of flavor. Courtesy of BHG.
- 2 lbs fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 4 cups peeled cipollini onions
- 6 ounces button mushrooms
- 6 ounces goat cheese
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon additional oil (to saute onions)
- Cook onions in a large covered skillet with 1 tablespoons oil over medium-low heat for 13-15 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Uncover and add brown sugar. Continue cooking and stirring for another 3-5 minutes or until onions are caramelized. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In large saucepan, cook green beans covered in a small amount of boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain when done.
- In a 13x9-inch baking dish combine cooked green beans and fresh mushrooms.
- Mix together the oil, soy sauce, and vinegar in separate bowl.
- Pour over green beans and mushrooms and toss to coat vegetables.
- Roast vegetables in oven 15-20 minutes, stirring once, until crisp tender.
- In separate bowl, use electric mixer to combine the cheese and milk.
- Spoon combined mixture lengthwise into center area of baking dish when done roasting. Top with caramelized onions and return to oven, cooking another 5-8 minutes or until cheese mixture and onions are heated through.
- Remove and serve hot or warm.