Recipe by evelyn/athens
The Runner-Up recipe for 1998 in the San Francisco Chronicle, from Janet Fletcher.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
What a lovely salad! I had all ingredients on hand - I used pecorino Romano - and loved how easily to put together this was. We had this for dinner for our 16th wedding anniversary today :) Thanks for sharing!
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs French haricots vert, blossom ends trimmed
- 1⁄2 lb baby arugula
- 4 ounces pecorino romano cheese or 4 ounces ricotta salata
- 4 dozen nicoise olives
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare the vinaigrette, combine the vinegar and shallots in a bowl. Whisk in the oils. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- For the salad: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the haricots verts and cook until they are just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and dry thoroughly in a dish towel.
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, arugula and dressing. Toss well. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Using a cheese plane, shave the cheese into the bowl in paper-thin slices. Toss gently to break the cheese up slightly. Transfer to a serving bowl or platter. Scatter the olives around the salad.