Prep 30 mins
Cook 37 mins
An excellent salad to go with a Russian Barbeque! For a crunchier salad, serve it soon after adding the dressing; for a more piquant flavor, make it the day before to allow the green beans to soak up the flavors of the garlic, vinegar, and walnut .
- 1⁄2 cup ground walnuts
- 2 medium sized garlic cloves, crushed in a garlic press
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed and cut crosswise in half
- 1⁄2 medium sized red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, water, and oil. Mix thoroughly. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Bring enough lightly salted water to a boil to cover the beans when added. Add the beans and boil until the beans are tender, about 7 minutes. Drain, refresh under cold running water, and drain again. Pat dry.
- In a salad bowl, combine the beans and the onion. Add the dressing, cilantro, and more vinegar, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss well. Serve either chilled or at room temperature.
This salad was served to me at a friends house - It looked beautiful and had a great flavor. I would love the cilantro in it however the parsley that was in the one I tasted was excellent too.Love the dressing Thanks Witch Doctor for another tasy recipe
Wonderful green bean salad!! the walnut dressing is superb! the combination of the green beans and red onion is not only delicious but also makes a very pretty presentaiton! Couldn't get any good looking cilantro so I used parsley instead. Wonderful as a side with guests for dinner. thanks for posting I will be making this again!
This is delicious! I've been waiting to make this for awhile and finally had all the ingredients at the same time. I followed the recipe exactly. However, I did cut it in half since there are two of us and there were no leftovers. Served this as the salad before the main dish. I could eat this as the main dish! This is a very unique dish. I'll make this over and over.