1 hr 5 mins
To make this vegetarian, use vegie broth instead of chicken. From Crescent Dragonwagon. Based on a cold Hungarian soup, but this one is served hot. The green beans need to be cut into very thin pieces. Don't add the cornstarch-yogurt mixture until just before serving. Good with a crusty "peasant" type bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces fresh green beans
- 4 small yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into small bite-size chunks
- 6 cups chicken stock (good quality-or vegetable broth)
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced (with some leaves if possible)
- 2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika (good quality and fresh)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1Cut green beans into 1/4-inch slices crosswise.
- 2Spray a large soup pot with nonstick cooking spray. Put in green beans, potatoes, stock, vinegar, honey, garlic, caraway, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, in a 10-inch skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion and saute until softened, about 4 minutes. Add celery and saute another 3 minutes. Lower heat slightly and sprinkle paprika over mixture. Cook another minute, stirring constantly.
- 4Scrape onion mixture into green bean pot and add a little water to skillet to deglaze it. Add this to soup pot. Take soup pot off of heat.
- 5When ready to serve, have soup very hot. Disolve the cornstarch in the water, making a paste and stir the paste into the yogurt.
- 6Whisk a ladleful of the hot stock into the yogurt. Turn down heat to low and stir cornstarch mixture into the hot soup. Using a wooden spoon, stir gently until soup has thickened slightly.
- 7Check for seasoning. Add more salt and pepper if needed, and adjust sweet/sour ratio by adding more vinegar or honey as needed.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Bean and Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (485 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.2
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 21.3 mg
- Sodium 379.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 17.9 g
- Protein 10.6 g