Recipe by Ambrosia for Guen
This is a nice vegetarian take on a vinegar potato salad. It's a major bonus that it uses Green Beans for me! I got the recipe from About.com, but had to make a change as I do not eat raw onions.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this up just for the 2 of us, since we both like potato salad so much ~ Really enjoyed this one, too, & the green beans gave it a nice twist, as did the use of a vinegar & oil dressing instead of mayo! I'll definitely be making this one again! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef]
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half crosswise
- 6 small red potatoes, cubed
- 1 small purple onion, halved lenghthwise and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar or 1⁄4 cup garlic red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoned pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot of boiling water, cook prepared green beans for about 7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and immerse in ice water for 5 minutes to stop cooking process. Completely cool and drain well.
- In large pot of boiling water, cook potatoes until tender. Repeat cooling procedure with potatoes.
- In small skillet heat olive oil. Add onions and 1/4 teaspoon (dash) salt and saute until just softened.
- Place beans in large serving bowl. Add potatoes and onion. In small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegars, garlic salt, seasoned pepper and sugar. Pour dressing over vegetables; toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours, stirring or tossing a few times while chilling. Remove salad from refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving; toss just before serving. Taste and adjust seasonings.