Recipe by katie in the UP
In search for new recipes for the Holidays I I found this recipe in the brand new Food Network Magazine! They recommend Haricot verts.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs thin green beans
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- 2 lemons
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms (cut paper thin)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a rolling boil.
- Add the beans and cook until crisp tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Toss with 3 tbls olive oil and 1 1/2 tsp salt.
- Cool, uncovered.
- Finely grate zest of 1 lemon; combine with the shallots in another large bowl.
- Squeeze the juice from both lemons on top.
- Add the mushrooms and toss with 1 tbls salt.
- Set aside.
- Toast the walnuts in a dry skillet over med heat until golden and fragrant.
- Sprinkle with sugar and pinch of salt and cook until the sugar melts, about 3 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- Add the remaining 1 tbls oil to the mushrooms and gently combine with the beans, parsley and half the nuts.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or platter and sprinkle the remaining nuts on top.