Recipe by Annacia
With its dose of flaxseed oil, this salad represents an attempt to get more omega-3s into the diet. The hazelnut oil is simply for deliciousness, complementing the toasted nuts and crisp-tender green beans.
- 1 ounce hazelnuts (2 tablespoons)
- 3⁄4 lb green beans, trimmed and halved diagonally
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flax seed oil
- 1 teaspoon hazelnut oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F with rack in middle.
- Toast nuts in a small baking pan until centers are golden, 15 to 20 minutes (cut one open to test for doneness).
- Cool to warm, then rub off any loose skins in a kitchen towel.
- Coarsely chop nuts.
- Cook beans in a 6-quart pot of boiling salted water (1 1/2 tablespoons salt for 4 quarts water) until just tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer to an ice bath to stop cooking.
- Drain and pat dry.
- Whisk together mustard, vinegar, and sea salt in a bowl, then add olive, flaxseed, and hazelnut oils, whisking.
- Add beans, nuts, and onion and toss well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- *NOTE: Beans can be cooked 1 day ahead and chilled (once cool) in a plastic bag lined with paper towels.