Recipe by l0ve2c00k
Green bananas are commonly used in Puerto Rican cuisine. Remember, green bananas and plantains are a different thing. This is another tasty way of preparing them.
- 10 green bananas
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 sweet peppers (seeded)
- 2 peppercorns (whole black pepper)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (can be white or apple)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- For the sauce:Crush and mix in mortar.
- Trim ends of bananas and slit just the peel, lengthwise, on both sides. In a deep 8qt pot, bring water to a boil to cover green bananas. Add bananas, cover, and boil over low heat for 15 minutes. Drain and peel.
- Note: If you want to make it faster, place bananas in sink full of warm water. Add milk. This will prevent the knife and your hands from staining. This also works when peeling green plantains.
- Fill pot with ingredients, add salt. Boil over low heat for 10 minutes. When done. Drain and allow to cool.
- Cut bananas into 1-inch rounds. Place in a deep dish, alternating with sauce. Marinate for 24 hours.
- Serve as an appetizer or as a side dish.