1/1 Photo of Green Apple & Tomatillo Cornbread Dressing
Montana Heart Song's Note:
This is a mix of fruit and vegetables in the dressing. It is made to cook alone. You may add chicken breasts or thick fish fillets on top. Then dress them with attached sauce. A make-ahead recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tomatillos, husked, cored stem end, diced
- 1 green granny smith apple, peeled, cored, diced
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup raisins or 1/2 cup craisins
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth or 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups cornbread stuffing cubes or 2 1/2 cups cornbread, crumbled & dry
- Pam cooking spray
- 1In medium saucepan add dice tomatillos diced apple, diced onion, margarine, lemon juice, two 1 gram packets Splenda, salt, sage and pepper. Mix and cook on medium heat for about 6 or 7 minutes, stirring.
- 2In large bowl, add dressing cubes or leftover crumbled cornbread and raisins or craisins.
- 3Pour saucepan mixture over dressing and toss.
- 4Add broth.
- 5Toss until mixed.
- 6Preheat oven 400°.
- 7Spray Pam in a large round shallow sided baking dish or 8 X 8 baking dish. Fill dish with dressing.
- 8Bake 30 minutes uncovered.
- 9If topped with chicken breasts or fish fillets, place on top before cooking.
- 10Last 15 minutes of cooking, heat jelly and spices and spoon over meat or fish. I like to sprinkle a little paprika and chili powder on the meat or fish when it starts to cook, it browns quickly. Spoon sauce as directed if using chicken and fish with the dressing. You may also use turkey cutlets.
- 11Note: You may use sugar free jelly if desired.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Apple & Tomatillo Cornbread Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.7
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 691.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 28.4 g
- Protein 1.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cornbread stuffing cubes