Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Green Apple and White Bean Soup
- 1⁄2 lb white beans (Cannellini or Navy)
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 cup garlic, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 celery ribs, diced
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 4 green apples, cored, peeled, sliced
- 1 cup cream
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Cover beans with water and soak them overnight.
- Combine drained beans, stock, garlic, onion, celery and 3/4 lb. of the bacon in a large heavy-bottomed stock pot. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook until beans are soft. Stir in apple pieces.
- Transfer to blender and puree. Please use caution when pureeing hot things as the expansion of steam can create nasty burns. No matter how tempting, only fill your blender half way with the hot bean mixture.
- Return to a clean, heavy pot and add cream, brown sugar, poblanos, lime juice and seasonings.
- Cook remaining 1/4 lb. bacon in skillet until crisp. Drain and dice in 1/4 inch pieces.
- Bring soup to a simmer and serve hot, topped with bacon pieces and green apple juliennes.